September 4, 2010

Signs of Spring: Cute Coot

Filed under: Birds,Reflections,Seasons,Smile,Spring,Western Springs — paul @ 7:09 am
Coot Chick (Western Springs)

Coot Chick (Western Springs)

The coots have hatched at Western Springs! Don’t they look irresistible in their artsy makeup and hairdo? Certainly more imaginative than the adults. But the colour will be gone in a few weeks’ time, when they turn grey and eventually black with white bill and forehead.

Find more weekend reflections at James’ Newtown Area Photo.

Coots (Adult and Chicks)

Coots (Adult and Chicks)

1. oh, he is adorably scraggly!

Comment by VioletSky — September 4, 2010 @ 8:29 am

2. He’s so cute!

Comment by Mama Zen — September 4, 2010 @ 8:30 am

3. Oh, I love these scraggly little ones! Such fun shots for the day! Hope you have a great weekend!

Sylvia

Comment by Sylvia Kirkwood — September 4, 2010 @ 9:05 am

4. I know the quake is on the south island, but take care. I am thinking of you.

Comment by Julie — September 4, 2010 @ 9:24 am

5. Talk about an ugly duckling .. I thought chicks were usually cute and soft and fluffy … not this little guy.

Comment by joan — September 4, 2010 @ 10:05 am

6. Great shots…young coots are…interesting looking 😉 Peace

Comment by jeff — September 4, 2010 @ 10:49 am

7. Oh my these is cute!!

Weekend Reflection

Comment by Manang Kim — September 4, 2010 @ 12:40 pm

8. Hi Paul,

are you a professional photographer? Your photos are certainly a very high standard.

I like the baby coot.

On Wednesday, I took a foreign visitor to Western springs. I miss out for forgetting my camera. We saw baby Pukeko and the parents were fussing over it.

Then we look up, hundreds of sea gulls were circling like your terns in your last post.

Comment by ann new zealand — September 4, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

9. Oh ! Terrific !

Comment by Gine — September 4, 2010 @ 4:55 pm

10. Not too keen on the scrawny young ones, but love the colour play in the water left hand down area.

Comment by joco — September 4, 2010 @ 6:39 pm

11. Scrawny or not,are there any ugly babies or not?
    Ask the parents,
    however the photography, not bad, not bad at all!
    Wishing you all a splendid Father’s day!!

Comment by herta — September 4, 2010 @ 10:12 pm

12. Thanks for your comments! Many wonderful photos of the lovely birds here! 🙂

Comment by viola — September 4, 2010 @ 11:10 pm

13. Thanks for all comments.

@Ann: no, not a pro, but serious amateur – thanks for the compliment.
    I have not seen any baby pukekos, only a juvenile.
    Yes, it is quite spectacular when the gulls lift up, circling the lake.

Comment by paul — September 5, 2010 @ 5:38 pm

14. Those coot ducklings are so ugly they are darling.

Comment by michael — September 6, 2010 @ 3:27 am

15. Glad you have posted a photo of the mother as I would have never guessed what they would look like as adults! They look so cute and funny! 🙂

Comment by JM — September 6, 2010 @ 7:27 am