The late afternoon sun shows up the silhouette of the Portland Buildings, Kingsland. Built in 1914 opposite the Kingsland railway station for Arthur William Page, they are a stately landmark of this now very gentrified suburb. Just look at those stylish parapets! “Portland” is thought to be in commemoration of the name of the ship which brought the Page family from England out to New Zealand in 1864.
There is more of an appraisal of this building in an article in the commercial property pages of the New Zealand Herald in 2009, when the complex came up for auction. A picture from a different angle is below.
For more black and white images check out Dragonstar’s Weekend in Black and White.