September 23, 2011

Avondale Spider

Filed under: Animals,Avondale,Sky — paul @ 9:20 am
The Avondale Spider

The Avondale Spider

Affectionately known as “Dale”, this is a monument to the Australian immigrant (from the 1920’s) huntsman spider (Delena cancerides) which seems to have settled in the Avondale area, and therefore is called the Avondale Spider in NZ. Probably our largest spider, its body size can reach over 4cm. Despite its fearsome appearance, it is quite harmless.

The creatures used in the movie Arachnophobia were Avondale spiders: Australia does not allow the export of native wildlife, so how convenient to have some non-native NZ relatives…

The illumination of the spider’s web seems to be a recent addition, maybe for the Rugby World Cup? (Which reminds me: there is a game tomorrow against France – Go the All Blacks!).

More Skywatch images at the Skywatch Site!

The Avondale Spider

The Avondale Spider

1. ooh yuck – not a fan of these fellows
    quite happy for you take them all if you like
    but of course that leaves us all the venemous ones πŸ™‚

Comment by Kel — September 23, 2011 @ 9:37 am

2. Spiders are fun. And this really is a big one.

Comment by Steffe — September 23, 2011 @ 10:09 am

3. Now THAT is a spider!! Wow! But, hey, he looks terrific against your beautiful skies! Fun, terrific capture for the day, Paul! Hope you have a great weekend!

Sylvia

Comment by Sylvia Kirkwood — September 23, 2011 @ 10:39 am

4. Some people are grossed out by spiders, but not I. I rather admire them. However, I might think twice about my admiration if I met a real one this big!

SKY LOVE

Sky above, sky aglow,
    Sky of rain and sky of snow;
    Sky of hail, sky of sleet,
    Sky cavorting o’er the street;
    Sky of black, sky of blue,
    In all seasons I love you!

Β© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Sky in a Puddle

Comment by Magical Mystical Teacher — September 23, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

5. How wonderful that it is not poisonous and harmless!!

Comment by Kate — September 23, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

6. Freaky sculpture. πŸ™‚

Comment by J Bar — September 23, 2011 @ 2:56 pm

7. You should had help this back for April 1, Paul…

Comment by jb — September 23, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

8. Excellent photos, especially I like the first one.

Regards and best wishes

Comment by Tatjana Parkacheva — September 24, 2011 @ 4:31 am

9. Dale is 7 years old and attends Avondale Primary School,As he is nocturnal, he attends night classes, he has his own Library card and allways wins the 3 leged race at sports days.
    Avondale celebrates his birthday every year with a giant birthday cake and hundreds of fellow school kids dance around his pole.The lights are to stop planes crashing into him.
    He felt unwanted in Australia so came here to live and is now an NZ citizen (so you Aussies out there can’t claim him) he is the international movie star of Arachnophobia and Spiderman.
    He is around 5 metres accross and mainly eats flys.

Comment by Duncan — September 29, 2011 @ 5:03 pm

10. Thank you very much Duncan, for filling in the vital stats for Dale, much appreciated. I wish him well as he progresses through school. Never one to pass up a piece of birthday cake, maybe you can alert me to the celebrations …

Comment by paul — September 29, 2011 @ 5:19 pm