April 23, 2013

Railway Impressions (Sean McCarthy)

Filed under: Avondale,Painted Boxes,Theme Day — paul @ 8:53 am
Railway Impressions (Sean McCarthy)

Railway Impressions (Sean McCarthy)

One more of Sean McCarthy’s painted telecommunications boxes. This one is in St Georges Road, Avondale, right beside a level railway crossing — as you might already have guessed. We hope that by the end of the year the depiction of a diesel engine will be just a quaint (if noisy) memory, replaced by whisper quiet electric trains. Another hope goes for the circuit boards that are alluded to in the picture: may there never ever be signal failures again! (See Herald stories here and here.)

The City Daily Photo community has a theme “St George’s Day” with great latitude on its interpretation: “You are welcome to post on your ideas on this day, your ideas on National Days and their value, even your favourite footie team.” This contribution has probably one of the more tenuous connections to St George or his day… For more contributions go to the theme day site.

1. Clever observation of the St. George cross.

Comment by ChrissyBrand McnWave (@chrissycurlz) — April 23, 2013 @ 9:13 am

2. It is in St Georges Road — but shows a St Andrew’s Cross, I think.

Comment by paul — April 23, 2013 @ 9:52 am

3. Good connection and cool picture – I struggled to find something local.

Comment by PrincetonDailyPhoto — April 23, 2013 @ 2:14 pm

4. Well done. You have a St. George’s Road and I enjoyed reading about that telecommunications box :).

Comment by Lauren — April 24, 2013 @ 1:30 am

5. I wonder if the artist really intended to show the cross of St Andrew?

Comment by Hamilton — April 24, 2013 @ 5:33 am

6. I am sure that the St Andrew cross is intentional, as it is the sign for level crossings.

Comment by paul — April 24, 2013 @ 10:25 am

7. I love the way St George bobs up in the least likely spots! Are we at St George’s (level) CROSSing?

Sunshine Coast Daily Photo – Australia

Comment by peter — April 24, 2013 @ 7:45 pm

8. Now that is a great idea, and beautifully executed!

Comment by Merisi in Vienna — April 26, 2013 @ 6:05 am

9. The St Andrew Cross is a white diagonal cross on a blue background, whereas the St George Cross is a red upright (?) cross on a white background. I suspect your have find the only living example of cross breeding, Paul.

As a contribution to the theme it works a treat, as left-field is my favourite position. Thanks for joining in.

Comment by Julie, Sydney Au — April 26, 2013 @ 10:31 am

10. Love it! I wish someone here would paint the eyesores that comprise our telecom boxes. This one in particular fits the theme for its location and for that St George’s cross. Nicely done!

Comment by Buck — April 29, 2013 @ 3:00 pm