Before 1913, the New Lynn Post Office was in the Railway Station. When increased rail volumes necessitated a move, local businesses Gardner Bros and Parker (brick makers) built this house and provided it at nominal rental. At 43 Totara Ave, it is a heritage building, a reminder of the brick and clay history of the area.
In 1930, a new Post Office was constructed from public funds (now used as the New Lynn Police Station).
Presently the building is occupied by BirthWest. Rest assured that we are not in the market for their services :-).
Incidentally, the inscription confirms the rule that black letter fonts (Gothic, Fraktur) should never be used in all capitals.