Achy Breaky Heart (Michael Parekowhai, 2013)
Waikokota Lane in Aucklands Wynyard Quarter tunnels through between the two blocks of the award-winning ASB building: glass to symbolise the transparency of the bank (yeah, right) and a monumental mural by Michael Parkowhai entitled “Achy Breaky Heart”. This is what the interpretive plaque says about it:
Achy Breaky Heart is a wall of bright, over-sized Cuisenaire rods, stacked upon each other in patterns to create the illusion of movement and rhythm. The rods become lines of colour – connecting, forming partnerships and dancing before your eyes. The glossy surface of Achy Breaky Heart reflects the environment and the surrounding glass reflects the work.
Cuisenaire rods were developed in the 1950s for maths education and each colour has a mathematical unit connected to it. The white rod is 1, the red rod is two, and the orange rod is 10. The title of the work, Achy Breaky Heart, is a nod to Piet Mondrian’s Broadway Boogie Woogie and – of course – to the early 1990s pop song and line dancing.
Michael Parekowhai was born in Porirua and grew up on Auckland’s North Shore. He works in the disciplines of sculpture, installation and photography and is a professor of Fine Arts at the University of Auckland.
A couple of days ago I noticed this view of period houses: looking from the Dominion Road flyover (above New North Road) to the ridge of Great North Road.
In the upper picture, Aitken Terrace houses in the foreground; behind them a steep dip down to Newton Gully (State Highway 16, these days). Then Keppel Street horizontally, and Potatau Street leads up to Great North Road (the big building with blue is the Samoan Methodist Community Hall in King Street). The second picture shows the continuation to the right, with Brisbane Street leading up to Great North Road.
On a stroll along the cycle path at Waterview (in the direction of Te Atatu) I encountered this solid structure next to where Oakley Creek enters the mangroves. No idea what its background could be – open to any stories, real or imaginary!
(Solution below in the comments.)
Detail of the former “Corban’s Original Wine Shop” in Henderson. Between Great North Road and the railway line. And here is the story:
“A prohibition majority in 1909 meant that the selling of wine in Henderson was illegal, but as the Henderson no-licence boundary ran along the railway line, the Corbans built a depot here to sell their wine. Boundary changes later closed this depot.”
Now part of the Corban Estate Art Centre (which is very much open to the public!).
Corban’s Wine Depot, Henderson
Higher and Higher
The former “So-Hole” is filled in, and buildings going up, here assembled from precast concrete panels.
Former Post Office, Onehunga
This stone building was opened in 1902 as the post office of the borough of Onehunga, serving in this role for 70 years. Nowadays it is a Columbus Coffee House. Great to sit under the trees out the back on a fine day!
Corner Princes Street and Onehnga Mall.
Pop Up Globe
It took 35 days to erect: a replica of the second Globe Theatre in the middle of Auckland, as the world celebrates the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare’s death. The season from mid-february to well into April, with international stars and many sold out sessions. The construction uses modern scaffolding technology, with plywood, seating up to 900.
A few pictures from a tour of the venue with Edward Bijl.
Read more about it here and here.
Pop Up Globe
Pop Up Globe
Looking towards Albert Park from Victoria Street car park in the city. (Frienz is a backpackers.)
A Game of Chess and a Muffin
The City Daily Photo theme for February is “Cafe”. Click here for more images from around the globe.
“The Library Cafe” in Onehunga used to be a “Carnegie Free Library”; the building operated as library from 1912 to 1970. Presently, the stately building operates as child friendly and down to earth cafe. There is a sizeable dining room and a more intimate “Reading Room”, all with fine wood paneling. Enjoyable atmosphere and good coffee.
More detailed information at the Timespanner blog.
The Library Cafe
Onehunga Sea Scout Hall
The Sea Scout Hall in Onehunga displays a permanent frown. Orpheus Drive.
Designed by John Park, it opened in 1911 as clubhouse for the Manukau Yacht and Motor Boat Club. Used by the Aotea Sea Scouts since 1977.