Three Lamps Replica, Ponsonby
In the 1870’s a lamp post with three gas lights was erected in the middle of the intersection of Ponsonby, Jervois, College Hill and St Marys roads. And the area became known as “Three Lamps”. In the 1930’s, the 11 meters high pole was moved to the corner by what was later to become the Gluepot (a pub), but soon that disappeared, and three lamps were placed on the verandah of the hotel, above the footpath. The name lives on, and is still current in shop names, and another reincarnation of three lamps is found inside the Three Lamps Plaza.
In August of this year, a replica of the old tall lamp post was erected again, next to the former Gluepot. For more of the history, see an article in the Aucklander.
More Skywatch images at the Skywatch Site!
Three Lamps on former Gluepot
Three Lamps inside Three Lamps Plaza
The tanker Awanuia at Queen’s Wharf.
Here Be Buses
Now here is the question: how did they paint the “U” without messing up the stencil?
New Lynn Bricks and Clay (Doug Ford)
Doug Ford has painted a number of traffic control cabinets in the New Lynn area. Some of them have already fallen victim to progress, be it in the form of street re-alignments, or technological improvements, not to mention traffic accidents. This stands in a pretty safe position at the corner of Great North Road and Delta Avenue. It shows the early brick and earthenware industries which were a major part of the early life in this region of Auckland.
The Blue House, Glen Eden
Seen in Glen Eden, next to Glenmall.